Skip to content
Why I’m Running
- Like all of you, I am tired of the dysfunction in Donald Trump’s Washington and our Republican-controlled state legislature in Harrisburg. We deserve better.
- I’m not a politician. I’m a former teacher and an expert in helping governments become more efficient. Now I’m running to fix Harrisburg.
- Each year, Pennsylvania faces a budget “crisis” of its own making. Time and time again, Harrisburg has relied on accounting gimmicks to balance the budget. It’s clear Harrisburg is broken.
- As a former budget analyst, I know that budgets are about making choices; our state budget should reflect our priorities. Unfortunately, Republicans in Harrisburg continue to make the wrong choices when it comes to our state’s future.
- We deserve someone who will invest in the jobs of the future and our public schools by closing tax loopholes and ensuring corporations pay their share.
- I believe income inequality is the defining challenge of our time. Time and time again, Harrisburg has voted to protect special interests over our families.
- As a former member of NEA-New Hampshire, I believe that unions play an important role in protecting workers. As a State Senator, I will oppose any attempt to roll back paycheck protections or deny workers the right to organize for a living wage.
- Our economy only works when everyone has the chance to succeed. That’s why I’m committed to providing all Pennsylvanians with opportunities to learn new skills and find higher paying jobs.
- As a former school teacher and mother of two, I’m committed to fully funding our public schools and universities.
- I will improve the existing funding formula to ensure every school district has the resources it needs. I will also work with my colleagues to improve accountability in both charter and public schools.
- I will strongly oppose any effort to cut public school funding or divert resources through the use of vouchers.
- As an environmental advocate, I’m committed to protecting our air and water.
- Right now, shale gas companies in Pennsylvania are allowed to extract our state’s natural resources and ship their profits to other states. As a State Senator, I will work with my colleagues to enact a Severance Tax to ensure these companies pay their fair share.
- I will work with my colleagues to implement common-sense safety standards to protect our environment and public health from the harmful effects of shale gas production.
- Like many of you, my husband and I have worried about not being able to afford medical care.
- I believe that Harrisburg needs to do more to expand access to affordable health care and lower insurance premiums. As a State Senator, I will work with my colleagues to create a public option that will allow families to choose between a state-managed health care plan and private insurance.
- As a working mom, I know how hard it is to raise a family these days. That’s why I firmly believe that all women deserve equal pay for equal work. This isn’t a women’s issue; it’s about fundamental fairness.
- I will work to expand access to reproductive care and protect a woman’s right to choose.
- I believe all women have the right to feel safe at work and school. As a State Senator, I will work with my colleagues to fight sexual harassment and discrimination.
- I firmly believe elected officials should represent everyone in our diverse community. I am eager to give a voice to community members who have historically been marginalized, including those in the LGBTQIA+ community.
- As a State Senator, I will work to change our state anti-discrimination law to protect LGBTQIA+ individuals and ban “reparative therapy.”
Combating the Opioid Epidemic
- Like many of you, I have family members who have struggled with drug addiction. Harrisburg must do more to help families and communities combat this epidemic.
- I support a multi-pronged approach to combating the opioid epidemic, including improving current addiction treatment programs, expanding prescription drug recycling options, and closing pill mills.
- I believe it’s time to take the redistricting process out of the hands of career politicians in Harrisburg.
- As a State Senator, I will work with my colleagues to create an independent state commission for redistricting.
- As a working mother of two, I know it’s harder than ever to raise a family these days as expenses grow but wages remain stagnant.
- I firmly believe that no one who works full time should have to live in poverty.
- I support Governor Wolf’s call for a $12 minimum wage that puts our state on the path to $15 by 2024, providing much needed relief to working families and certainty for our small businesses.
Combating Gun Violence
- As a mother of two children, I believe that guns have no place in our classrooms.
- I strongly support banning high-capacity magazines and bump stocks, strengthening our current background check system to ensure guns don’t fall into the wrong hands, and prohibiting weapons of war from being sold in our state.